The University of Oregon is committed to upholding all legal and professional obligations to protect the confidentiality of health information. Individuals receiving services from one of the University of Oregon’s departments or clinics covered by HIPAA have the following rights:
- Obtain a copy of their electronic or paper record. In some cases, the department may recommend a summary of the record.
- Request a correction to your health record that is believed to be incorrect or incomplete. The department or clinic should respond within 60 days, or provide an explanation as to why that is not possible.
- Request an alternative form of communication, such as a different phone number or address.
- Request a restriction on the way we use or share your health information. We are not required to agree to your request and may decline if it is not feasible or will interfere with your care.
- Request a list (accounting of disclosures) of the people or entities to whom we have disclosed health information for the last six years. The list will include disclosures to public health agencies, law enforcement, and research.
- File a complaint at any time to the University of Oregon Privacy Office. Your complaint can be submitted in writing to: Privacy Officer, Safety and Risk Services, 1715 Franklin Blvd, Suite 2A, 1260 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 97403-1260. We will not retaliate against you for filing a complaint. You may also file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights, Department of Health and Human Services.