Controlled Substances

Controlled Substances (CSs) are drugs whose manufacture, possession and use are regulated by the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Determine if the material you wish to use is a controlled substance by searching the DEA Alphabetical Listing. Researchers and other employees who require the use of a controlled substance in research must apply for authorization through EHS and be approved by DEA before work with the material can begin.


  • Steve Stuckmeyer, Director, Environmental Health and Safety, (P) 541-346-3197 


Researchers at UO who intend to use DEA Controlled Substances in their work must first apply for a license. DEA issues licenses directly to the Registrant (researcher); UO no longer has an institutional license. Please contact Environmental Health and Safety for assistance with approvals for work with CSs.

DEA registrants and their authorized users should familiarize themselves with the UO Controlled Substances Program Manual. It provides streamlined guidance on complying with DEA requirements.



Controlled Substance Disposition Log 

The disposition log tracks the receipt and usage of each Controlled Substance under the Registrant's license. Additional pages can be printed here.

Controlled Substance Dilution Log 

The Dilution Log be used to track the creation and usage of mixtures or dilutions of Controlled Substances.

Schedule III-V CS Transfer Form

The transfer form documents moving controlled substances from one UO DEA Registrant to another UO DEA Registrant.

Controlled Substance Inventory Form 

The inventory form documents an inventory reconciliation of all controlled substances in the Registrant's ownership. It must be completed initially and at least every two years.

New Registrant Application

Initial application form for new Prinical Investigators (P.I.) wishing to use controlled substances.  Will be sent to Institutional Official (I.O.)for approval.

 Authorized user sceening form 

If a Registrant wishes to grant a lab member access to the CS storage area as an Authorized User, please submit the Screening form to Steve Stuckmeyer.