Event Safety and Planning

Event Safety and Planning

University events are gatherings or functions, distinct from routine operations. The events may take place on UO owned, leased, or rented property.  To ensure the safety of participants and staff and to reduce the strain on local resources, event organizers must consider and plan for the potential risks from both internal and external sources. 


General Risk Management, (P) 541-346-8316
Scheduling and Event Services, schedule@uoregon.edu
Student Rec Center, Facility Rentals, srcrentals@uoregon.edu

Student Event Contacts

ASUO, Student Organization Leadership Support (SOLS), 541-346-0627
Center for Student Involvement, 541-346-23631


Event organizers must confirm the event is supported by their respective department head or dean.  Organizers must review and comply with associated University policies and procedures. If the event involves any of these activities, additional approval may be required. 


City, state or federal permits may also be required depending on the type of proposed activity. 

  • Temporary Food Service Permit
  • Special Event Permit (City of Eugene, City of Portland, and Charleston)
  • Fire department event permit (City of Eugene, City of Portland)
  • Alcohol Temporary Sale Permit (City of Eugene, City of Portland
  • Drone Flights, UAS, require special approval by the Risk Management and Insurance office.  *Northeast PDX Campus UAS flight requests must have approval from the Port of Portland in addition to the policy approval process

Emergency Planning 

In addition, event organizers must consider being prepared to respond in the event of an emergency. 


  • First Aid/CPR training for staff and volunteers.
  • Have you retained the staff needed for the event? 
  • Will you need additional security for the type of event? 
  • Evacuation plan, including ensuring staff are aware of entrances, exits, fire extinguishers, phones, and external automatic defibrillators (AEDs). 
  • Review the Emergency Management & Continuity procedures.

Insurance and Contracting

  • Contracting: If your event will require a Facility Use Agreement, Personal Services Contract, or Catering Contract please review the Purchasing and Contracting Services (PCS) process for contracting at the University.  Only individuals with delegated contracting authority may sign a contract.  A PCS contract template may be required. 
  • Purchasing Policies:  Review the University purchasing policy and guidelines regarding alcohol and alcohol related purchases or services.
  • Insurance: All events on campus are required to have insurance coverage. Non-UO groups and Non-ASUO recognized student groups may obtain coverage through TULIP.
  • Certificates of Insurance: UO may require vendors to provide a copy of their insurance coverage, typically via a certificate of insurance.  More information regarding certificates of insurance can be found online

Resources and Forms
Event Checklist - Managing Risks  
Event Safety Planning Guide
United Educators Running Student Events Check List  
Event Insurance for Tenants and Facility Users
Waivers of Liability
Volunteer forms


Safety – Physical Space and Environment 
Catering Policy
Animal Control Policy
Special Events Fire Prevention