The University’s animal control policy is designed to ensure the safety and well-being of all members of our campus community. We prioritize responsible pet ownership and compliance with local and state regulations.
General Environmental Health and Safety, (P) 541-346-3192
The Animal Control policy does not apply to the following:
- Animals the University may be required to allow under state and/or federal law, such as service animals.
- Assistance animals (also known as, emotional support, therapy and companion animals) authorized to be in limited, specifically identified campus locations as a disability-related housing or employment accommodation approved by the Accessible Education Center or Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity.
- Animals used by law enforcement or emergency personnel in the exercise of their official duties.
- Animals used in authorized academic programs, teaching or research at the University. Residents of the University’s East Campus Housing and University Housing full-time live-in staff and Faculty in Residence only may keep authorized pets within their residence hall apartment or rented property.
Departments may request an exception to the policy by completing the online Animal Control Policy Exception Request Form. The request form and associated required documents should be submitted no fewer than 14 business days before your event. Your submission must include:
- Copy of approval from department head or dean.
- Risk mitigation plan (first aid stations, hand washing stations, or animal control plan, security if needed).
- Map with event layout information (i.e. will you be using tents, staging area, gating, etc.).