Certificates of Insurance

A Certificate of Insurance (also known as a COI) is a document from an insurance agent/broker that serves as evidence of insurance coverage; it outlines the type of insurance, the limits of liability and the effective and expiration dates of coverage. It is important to note that a certificate of insurance is only evidence of coverage in effect at the time of issuance of the certificate; it is not an insurance policy nor does it convey any rights to the certificate holder.



Vendor Requires a Certificate of Insurance

Certificates of Insurance are often requested by outside parties when the University is entering a contract. You may request a COI online you will be required to submit a copy of the contract.  All contracts must be processed in accordance with University policy and guidelines.

Request Certificate of Insurance

University of Oregon requires a Certificate of Insurance

Departments should request a Certificate of Insurance from the contractor or vendor prior to the beginning of work and/or the start of a contract. 

The Certificate of Insurance must have the following:

  • The named insured must match the name in the contract.
  • The appropriate dates, coverage and limits must be shown.
  • The Certificate Holder section should show the UO contact name and address.
  • The Description of Operations should refer to the specific duty, service or event.
  • The COI document must be very specific.  Under “Description of Operations it must read:  "The State of Oregon, Board of Trustees of the University of Oregon, University of Oregon, and their respective officers, employees, and members are additional insureds.”

Minimum coverage requirements:

  • Commercial General Liability Insurance: Including Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability, Independent Contractors Liability, Contractual Liability, Product Liability and Completed Operations Liability in an amount not less than $1,000,000 combined single limit, per occurrence, and $2,000,000 aggregate.
  • Workers’ Compensation: Statutory limits are required.
  • Employers Liability Coverage: $500,000.
  • Automobile Liability: For vendors who will drive on University property, Automobile Liability in an amount not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and property damage, including owned, hired and non-owned vehicle coverage. For Charter Bus Companies, the minimum Automobile Liability coverage required is $5,000,000.

Depending on the nature of the work and contract, other insurance coverages may be required such as;

  • Professional Liability
  • Umbrella or Excess Liability Coverage
  • Cyber Risk Insurance
  • Environmental Liability
  • Sexual misconduct/molestation/abuse
  • Host Liquor Liability


Purchasing and Contracting Services

Example COI