Preparing for emergencies on campus is a shared responsibility among the UO administrative units, schools, departments, and individual faculty, staff, and students. This page includes resources for faculty.
- James Stegall, Continuity & Emergency Manager, (P) 541-346-2651
Before classes start:
- Determine what emergency information you will include on your class syllabus such as evacuation routes, assembly location (see below), or resource lists. Suggested text is included at the bottom of this page.
- Sign up for UOAlert and/or confirm your existing registered number via DuckWeb.
- Be personally prepared for an emergency at home or on campus.
- Consider classroom evacuation.
- Visit your classrooms to check the building evacuation maps (posted in most hallways) for routes and building assembly area
- Know at least two evacuation routes from each of your classrooms
- Pick a specific assembly area, near the building’s designated area, for each class
- Print hardcopies of the class rosters and keep with your class materials so that you will know if all students are present after an evacuation.
- Understand what to do and who to call should there be a medical emergency in your classroom.
On the first day of each term:
- Review #4 above with your students:
- Describe at least two evacuation routes from each of your classrooms
- Tell your students the specific assembly area, near the building’s designated area, the you have chosen for this class
- Point out the emergency procedures poster (if in a general pool classroom)
- On the first day, or any day, practice your evacuation routes by entering and exiting the building using the different routes you identified.
Sample syllabus language
In Case of Emergency:
EMERGENCY – CALL 911
Call the UO Police Department (541) 346-2919 for non-emergency assistance.
- If we need to evacuate the building during class, two possible evacuation routes include: _______________________________
- If we need to evacuate the building during class, our designated assembly point is: _______________________________
- Be sure your cell phone is set up to receive UO Alert text messages: 1) Login to DuckWeb, 2) Click on the “Personal Information” menu, and 3) Click on “Enter/Update Emergency Alert Phone.”
More information on emergency preparedness can be found online: https://safety.uoregon.edu/emergency-management-continuity