At the University of Oregon, the safety of our students is a high priority. Classroom safety is an easy topic to incorporate into class preparation and course materials to ensure student safety.
- Emergency Management (P) 541-346-8070
Before class begins
Take these steps before class begins to know what you can do in the case of an emergency:
- Determine what emergency information you will include on your class syllabus such as evacuation routes, assembly location (see below), or resource lists.
- Sign up for UOAlert and/or confirm your existing registered number via DuckWeb.
- Consider classroom evacuation.
- Visit your classrooms to check the building evacuation maps (posted in most hallways) for routes and building assembly area
- Know at least two evacuation routes from each of your classrooms
- Pick a specific assembly area, near the building’s designated area, for each class
- Print hardcopies of the class rosters and keep with your class materials so that you will know if all students are present after an evacuation.
- Point out and review the Emergency Procedures Posters that are posted in all general pool classrooms. If your classroom is missing a poster, please contact Emergency Management
Suggested emergency information for syllabus
Include this information in your syllabus for students.
In Case of Emergency CALL 911. Call the UO Police Department (541) 346-2919 for non-emergency assistance.
If we need to evacuate the building during class, two possible evacuation routes include: _______________________________
If we need to evacuate the building during class, our designated assembly point is: _______________________________
Be sure your cell phone is set up to receive UO Alert text messages: 1) Login to DuckWeb, 2) Click on the “Personal Information” menu, and 3) Click on “Enter/Update Emergency Alert Phone.”
You can also include information from our Personal Safety page.