All University of Oregon employees, students, and volunteers who experience damage to vehicles that are university-owned, Motor Pool, state, rental, courtesy, or personal (when driven on university business) must report incidents immediately to the Office of Risk Management, and to the University of Oregon Police Department.
Procedures for UO Employees, Students, and Volunteers
- Report to the Office of Risk Management: 541-346-8316
- Report to UOPD: 541-346-2919
- Complete an Vehicle Incident Report. Additional forms may be required; please refer to the vehicle accident packets (in UO vehicles).
For more information, download the Reporting Procedures Quick Guide.
- Vehicle Crimes: If the loss is due to a hit-and-run, theft, break-in, or vandalism, these incidents are criminal and need to be reported to law enforcement immediately. If the incident occurred on university property, contact UOPD. Otherwise, contact local law enforcement.
- Deductible: Vehicle claims are subject to a deductible. Departments are responsible for $5,000 of the deductible. The Office of Risk Management will work directly with the responsible department to coordinate the repair efforts. Risk Management will work directly with Motor Pool to facilitate the claims on Motor Pool vehicles. The Motor Pool will charge the department for repair costs.
- Third Parties: When a university vehicle is damaged by another party, Risk Management will work with the department to file a claim with the third party’s insurance company.
- DMV Reporting: In Oregon, if the damages are greater than $1,500 and/or involve injury of any kind, you are required by law to report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours on an Oregon Traffic Accident and Insurance Report form (included in the Vehicle Accident Packet located in university vehicles). You must forward a copy of this report to the Office of Risk Management.